Sunday 6 May 2012

Searching for Lambs


A warm welcome indeed to the merry month of May, to start this month here's a lovely little song that Cecil Sharp collected in a couple of villages in Somerset and described thus "Taking words and tune together, I consider this to be a very perfect example of a folk song". The 5/4 time signature (with a bar of 3/4 thrown in for good measure) and modal melody roll beautifully with the light hearted nature of the words.
I have heard this track done a few times and feel that the lad could be misread as being very forward with the young lady but to me there is an inference that he is on good terms already and perhaps the Spring air wins her over that sunny morning.

This recording was taken in Sam's kitchen, Bath during my gig there on Friday 4th May.

Tim
As I went out one May morning,
One May morning betime,
I met a maid, from home had stray'd
Just as the sun did shine.

What makes you rise so soon, my dear,
Your journey to pursue?
Your pretty little feet they tread so sweet,
Strike off the morning dew.

I'm going to feed my father's flock,
His young and tender lambs
That over hill and over dales
Lie waiting for their dams.

O stay! O stay! you handsome maid,
And rest a moment here,
For there is none but you alone,
That I do love so dear.

How gloriously the sun doth shine,
How pleasant is the air,
I'd rather rest on my true love's breast
Than any other where.

For I am thine and thou art mine;
No man shall uncomfort thee;
We'll join our hands in wedded bands
And married we will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment