Sunday 19 August 2012

Bath Folk Festival Special part 2 of 2

Fly Away

This first track is by Lazibyrd, an excellent duo who play around several festivals and towns in the South West and who competed in the New Shoots competition at the Bath Folk Festival. The song is about the fact that you can always find things to do, even in the quietest villages in the country and if there's nothing happening... make something happen!

Why does gravity keep pulling me down?
Do I really need my feet on the ground?
And my head keeps spinning round and round

Is it wrong to want to reach the sky
Feel frustrated and I don't know why
Want to hide and yet I know I'll die

Ch: I just want to fly, I just want to fly, I just want to fly away

I just want to be the apple's eye
Straight and sober but I'm feeling high
All my dreams come true if I just try

Why does gravity keep pulling me down...

Ch:

When I was a Cowgirl


Angel Ridge finished their set today at the Wine Vaults with this take on the traditional American song 'When I was a Cowboy'

When I was a cowgirl, way out on the Western Plains,
When I was a cowgirl, way out on the Western Plains,
I made half a million pullin’ the buffalo reins.

refrain:
Coma-cow-cow, coma-cow-cow, yicky-yicky-yea.

What was the greatest battle here on the Western plains
When we an’ a bunch o’ cowgirls run into Jesse James

When me an’ a bunch o’ cowboys run into Jesse James.
De bullets was a-flyin’ jus’ like a shower of rain.

What was the greatest battle ever on Bunker Hill
When we an’ a bunch o’ cowgirls run into Buffalo Bill

When me an’ a bunch o’ cowgirls run into Buffalo Bill
We lassoed his ass and left him up on Bunker Hill

Maid on the Shore


I finished my time at the Bath Folk Week with Martin Vogwell, we met upon a shared billing a while ago and he has become a good friend since. Here is his lovely version of the British Ballad that tells the tale of clever lass outwitting, quite frankly, very dull-witted sailors

Oh there was a sea captain who ploughed the salt seas
And the weather was pleasant and clear-o
And a beautiful maiden he chanced for to spy
She was sitting alone on that rocky old shore
She was sitting alone by the shore

So the sailors did hoist out a very long boat
And it's off for the shore they did steer-o,
Saying, “Ma'am if you please will you enter on board
To view a fine cargo of costly ware,
To view a fine cargo of ware.”

And when they've arrived alongside of the ship
Oh the captain he ordered a chair-o
Saying, “First you will lie in my arms this night
And then I'll hand you to my jolly crew,
Then I'll hand you to my jolly crew.”

So she sat herself down in the stern of the ship
And the weather was pleasant and clear-o
And she sung so neat, so sweet and complete,
She sung the sailors and captain right off to sleep,
She sung sailors and captain to sleep.

Well she's robbed them of silver, she's robbed them of gold,
And she's plundered their bright costly ware-o.
And the captain's bright sword she's took for an oar
And she's sailed away for that rocky old shore,
And she's sailed away for the shore.

“Oh were my men drunk or were my men mad
Or were my men drowned in care-o
That they let her escape that made us so sad?
And the sailors all wish that she was there-o
Oh the sailors all with she was there

Well the captain he's gone to the stern of the boat
And away from the shore they sail-o
She saluted the captain and all of the crew
Saying "I'm a maid on the shore once more
I'm a maid on the shore once more.”

And so ends another week of Bathonian folk festivities, I hope you had a lovely time and we hope to see you again next year. To all of the performers a huge thank you as well, I hope you all have good luck with your music from here on and that I'll meet you again soon

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment