Sunday 21 October 2012

The Final Trawl & British Man O' War

The Final Trawl.

This first song is sung by Dave Stenton who came all the way from Oxford to join us:


"This song was written by Archie Fisher in 1979, after the Cod Wars with Iceland virtually completed the decimation of the British fishing industry. Shona MacMillan, in the notes to her compilation 'People and Songs of the Sea" [Greentrax CDTRAX 338, 2009], says: "In 1904, 143 boats, mostly herring drifters, were registered to Port Seton [on the Firth of Forth] and fishwives sold fish at the harbour. Today, about a dozen boats are locally owned and … fishing for prawns.'

I got the song from Roy Palmer’s "Boxing the Compass", pp. 306-307. Here are the words I sing: the "folk process" seems to have changed them a little! The only additional information I’ve got (also from Palmer) is that the Skerry Rock which Archie had in mind is the one that lies offshore between Peterhead and Aberdeen, and that a cran is 28st (392lb): so not the largest catch in the world."

Dave

It’s been three long years since we made her pay
sing Haul Away My Laddie O
and we can’t get by on the subsidy
and sing Haul Away My Laddie O.

So let’s heave away for the final trawl
it’s an easy pull for the catch is small.

Then we’ll stow the gear lads and batten down
and I’ll take the wheel lads and turn her round.

And she’ll join the "Venture" and the "Morning Star"
riding high and empty beyond the bar.

For I’d rather beach her on the Skerry Rock
than to see her torched in the breaker’s dock.

And it’s when I die you can stow me down
in her rusty old hold where the breakers sound.

Then we’ll find the Haven and the Fiddler’s Green
where the grub is good and the bunks are clean.

Well, I’ve worked the fishing now, boy and man
but the final trawl scarcely makes a cran.


British Man O' War


To celebrate 3 years of the session running I decided to start a new folk night in Bath at the St James Wine Vaults called Up in the Gallery. Held on the third Wednesday of each month it's aim is to bring some of the best young and emerging talent performing under the banner of folk today. Our first night was last Wednesday with the excellent James Findlay. He gave a cracking performance and ended with this song which is available on his first album 'As I Carelessly did Stray' from which this recording is taken.

Tim

It was down in yonder valley I carelessly did stray;
There I beheld a fair young damsel and a sailor gay.
He said, "My lovely Susan, I'm soon to leave the shore,
I'm sailing off to China a British man of war."

Ch: A Bristish man of war, a British man of war
I'm sailing off to China on a British man of war

Susan fell a weeping. "Oh sailor," she did say,
"How can you be so venturesome to throw your life away!
For it's when that I am twenty-one I shall receive my store;
Stay at home, don't venture on a British man of war."

Ch

"Oh, Susan, lovely Susan, the truth to you I'll tell,
The Chinese have insulted us, old England knows it well.
I may be crowned with laurels, so like a jolly tar,
I'll face the walls of China on a British man of war."

Ch

"Oh how can you be so venturesome as to face the proud Chinese,
For they will prove as treacherous as any Portuguese,
And by some deadly dagger you shall receive a scar,
So stay at home don't venture on a British man of war."

Ch

"Oh, Susan, lovely Susan, the time will quickly pass,
You come down to the ferryhouse to take a parting glass;
For my shipmates they are waiting to sail me far from the shore,
I'm sailing off to China on a British man of war."

Ch

The sailor took his handkerchief and tore it fair in two,
You keep half of me my love and I'll keep half of you
For when I am in battle, the cannons loudly roar,
I'll fight for fame and Susan in a British man of war."

Ch

It was down in yonder valley I carelessly did stray;
There I beheld a fair young damsel and a sailor gay.
He said, "My lovely Susan, I'm soon to leave the shore,
I'm sailing off to China a British man of war."

Ch


Help us to bring more folk music to Bath;
                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment