Saturday 3 November 2012

North Country Maid


Despite being on the other side of the world, this week's song comes from Sue Harding:

"I learned this song from a guy called Terry. I learned a lot of my early repertoire from Terry who ran a folk session in a pub in Llanarthne in South Wales which is near to where I lived for five years, once upon a time. I love its long fluid melody lines which are delicious to sing and decorate and its evocative images of the natural world. It is a girl's song, both a little bit arch and knowing and at the same time with an intense emotional directness as it explores that old chestnut of homesickness and longing. I think I might sing it next week at my debut open mic in Al Ain Golf Club. I'm sorry I know so little about it's provenance. Someone once said it was big in Ireland but it doesn't sound at all Irish to me!"

Sue

A North Country maid
Down to London had strayed
Although with her nature
it did not agree
And she's wept and she's sighed
And she's wrung her hands and cried
How I wish once again
In the North I could be

Where the oak and the ash
And the bonny ivy tree
Do all flourish and bloom
In my north country

I wish I could be
In my north country
where the lads and the lasses
Are making thee hay
Where the bells they do ring
And the bonny birds do sing
And the meadows and maidens
Are pleasant and gay

Chorus

I bet if I please
I could marry with ease
For where bonny lasses are
Lovers will come
But the lad that I wed
Must be north country bred
And must carry me back
To my north country home

Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment