Sunday 29 January 2012

Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy




 This is one of the most popular songs that I have come across in folk song, especially in the area of sea faring, broken token and squandering money!
There are many different versions of this song, especially with the propagation of broadsides such as Swansea town and alike but perhaps the most well known is that of the Copper family from Rottingdean, however, this version is mainly inspired by Martin Simpson's beautiful rendition on his album 'Kind Letters'.

Adding to the song this week are Ali George playing some brilliant counterpoint melody on guitar and Rob helping out with some of the lines!

Here's adieu sweet lovely Nancy
Ten thousand times adieu
I'm going over the ocean love
To seek for something new

Come change your ring with me dear love
Come change your ring with me
That it may be a token of true love
When I am on the sea

And when I am all on the sea
You'll know not where I am
Kind letters I will write to you
From every foreign land

The secrets of my hear t dear girl
The best of my good will
So let your body be where it might
My heart will be with you still

There's a heavy storm arising
See how it gathers round
Whilst we poor souls on the ocean wide
Are fighting for the crown

The Captain he commands us
It's him we must obey
Expecting every moment
For to get cast away

There are tinkers, tailors and shoemakers
Lying snoring, fast asleep
Whilst we poor souls on the ocean wide
Are ploughing through the deep

There's nothing to protect us love
Or keep us from the cold
On the ocean wide where we must bide
Like jolly seamen bold

And when the wars are over
And there's peace on every shore
We'll return to our wives and our families
And the girls that we adore

We'll drink our liquor merrily
We'll spend our money free
And when our money it is all gone
We'll boldly go to sea

No comments:

Post a Comment