Sunday 15 January 2012

The Rushes

Rushes by A Sunday Song

Today's song comes from the pen of Ali George, a terrific singer-songwriter in Bath and co-host of the Sunday sessions:


The Rushes is a kind of lament for a place. It’s very much a song inspired by nature. In that aspect it could be viewed as old fashioned. The lyrical inspiration for the song certainly comes from an old tradition: 8th and 9th Century Chinese poetry. Li Po is one of my favourite poets. Musically it’s been likened to Leonard Cohen (I don’t think there’s any argument there).

Rob Winder, who has always expressed an interest in this song, (much to my pleasure) sings the co-vocal here. Tim Graham plays some understated yet beautiful guitar.
 

The small ways of the rushes are quiet
I stepped over the fence tonight
The church bells of Leigh are not ringing
But the birds of the brook are singing

All my rushes die while I am away
Oh my angel why don’t we come to stay
For a while

The small ways of the rushes are quiet
I slipped through golden trees tonight
I miss quiet evenings like this
Soft as my sweet lovers kiss

Chorus

The small ways of the rushes are quiet
I stepped over the fence tonight
The sunset is an hour away
So I’ll wait out what’s left of the day

Chorus


Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment